Wykham Park Academy Uniform
Wykham Park Academy expects all of its students to be smartly and safely dressed.
Please note that years 7-9 wear grey jumpers and years 10-11 black jumpers. They are not compulsory but if they are worn they must be the Wykham Park Academy version which can be purchased from Cross Embroidery.
Boys and Girls
Grey blazer with burgundy trim and embroidered Academy logo with:
Either: White shirt with clip-on College or Y11 tie (ties can be ordered from the School Gateway app)
Or: Black Shalwar Khameez with either
- a short black scarf tucked into the school jumper
- a longer black scarf with a trim (denoting the College/Y11 colour)
- a longer black scarf with a headband (denoting the College/Y11 colour)
Black tailored “school” trousers or tartan kilt.
Wykham Park Academy jumper
Black “school” shoes that can be polished
Blazers must be worn all year round. Jumpers are non-compulsory but if students want to wear a jumper under their blazer it must be the school jumper as detailed in above.
- Blazers must be worn all year round.
- Shirts must be able to be buttoned to the neck
- Coloured or patterned garments worn underneath the shirt should not be visible
- Wykham Park Academy jumper (not compulsory)
- must be tailored school trousers
- Jeans, jean-like trousers, heavy cotton trousers, “chinos”, leggings, or any other casual trousers are not acceptable and embellishments such as studs are not permitted
- A sturdy rucksack/backpack large enough to carry A4 books and all equipment.
- Must be the school skirt, which is grey and red. All other colours and styles are not acceptable
- Skirts should reach at least the mid-point between the thigh and the knee
- Extremes of fashion footwear are not allowed due to the expansive nature of the site and health and safety considerations
- Shoes should be either leather or plastic – that can be polished (not canvas, suede, woollen or any other material)
- Trainers are not acceptable except for PE
- Boots are not allowed. However, if students wish to wear them to walk to school and change into shoes when they arrive, we will provide somewhere for them to store them as we appreciate that some students do have a long walk
- Ties must be clip-on in College/Y11 colours and fastened within the collar and with top button secure
- Blazers must be worn all year round,
- Jumpers are non-compulsory but if students want to wear a jumper under their blazer it must be the school jumper.
- Cardigans are not acceptable
- “Hoodies” and sweatshirts are not allowed in school and should not be worn as coats
- Denim jackets or leather jackets are not allowed in school and cannot be worn instead of weatherproof coats
- Socks must be plain black
- No piercings are allowed, other than one pair of earring studs Please note that these will need to be removed for PE and DT and remain the student’s responsibility
- A wristwatch is the only other jewellery allowed
- Extremes of fashion in hair styles and make up are not accepted. If hair is dyed, it must be a single “natural” colour. (The decision about what is acceptable lies with the Principal)
- Excessively long nails, either false or natural, coloured nail polish or false nails of any kind are not allowed.
The Academy blazer, skirt, jumper and ties are available from Cross Embroidery, but all other items can be bought from any retailer.
BOYS & GIRLS
The following items are only available from Cross Embroidery and will have the Wykham Park Academy logo
- Wykham Park hoody (optional)
- Wykham Park tracksuit jogging bottoms (optional)
- Long-sleeved PE rugby shirt (winter) – must be worn for hockey, netball, football & rugby (only Rugby shirt or Wykham Park hoody is permitted to be worn in lessons)
- Polo shirt – used for indoor and summer sports only
- Skirt (optional)
- Socks – Wykham Park football socks only (in term 5 and 6 students can wear white athletics socks)
The following items can be purchased at any retailer of your choice
- Football boots (essential)
- Shin pads (must be worn for football, hockey and school matches)
- Gum guard (essential for hockey and rugby lessons, must be worn for school matches)
N.B. Boys and Girls – Trainers and clothes used for PE MUST NOT be worn for general school use.
Leggings are not permitted in PE lessons.
If your child has an injury which prevents them participating in the practical aspects of a PE lesson they are still expected to bring their kit and take part in the lesson. This might be that they score, give feedback to their peers on a skill they are learning, learn to umpire etc. Their PE teacher will use their professional judgement in deciding what is appropriate for each individual child. Only in exceptional circumstances will a student with an injury be placed in a classroom during a PE lesson. If a student forgets their kit they will be expected to wear our laundered school PE kit. We view this as part of their “equipment” which we expect them to bring to school in order to fully participate in the learning opportunities we provide. PE lessons provide all students with the chance to exercise, but in addition, they are learning vital skills, such as teamwork, communication skills, humility in defeat etc.
Naming of Clothing
We encourage parents to name all items of clothing with sewn-in name tags or indelible pen.
Please note: Wykham Park Academy fully endorses the principle that the school’s uniform should be affordable for everyone, ensuring that no student or family is socially excluded through inability to buy. Accordingly, the majority of the uniform can be bought ‘off the peg’ from any high street outlet or supermarket; the only items which need to be purchased from local specialist supplier, Cross Embroidery, being the blazer, jumper, shirt and tie. The blazer is competitively priced, retailing at around a similar cost to those available from high street outlets and supermarkets (but without the required Academy badge).
Wykham Park Academy is committed to an annual appraisal of the uniform’s cost in order to ensure that it continues to be affordable for everyone. We retain the right to send students home to change, if not in full school uniform. This is made explicit to parents by means of the Home Academy Agreement:
- The Academy – we will: have high expectations for uniform, jewellery and PE kit – we will enforce our uniform policy
- Student – I will: wear full school uniform, as detailed in the uniform policy and be tidy in appearance
- Parent(s)/Carer(s) – I/We will: ensure that my/our child wears full uniform, as detailed in the uniform policy and understand that he/she will be sent home to change or internally excluded if inappropriately dressed
The Principal, on behalf of the Governing Body, will make the final decision regarding what is permissible at Wykham Park Academy.