Performing Arts A Level Edexcel
Course entry requirements: Minimum grade 4 in English GCSE, previous Drama experience (e.g. GCSE course)
OVERVIEW OF COURSE:
Year 13 only
Component 1: Devising (40%)
- Devise an original performance piece.
- Use one key extract from a performance test and a theatre practitioner as stimuli.
- Portfolio of evidence to support practical exploration.
Component 2: Text in Performance (20%)
- A group performance/design realisation of one key extract from a performance text.
- A monologue or duologue performance/design realisation from one key extract from a different performance text.
- Centre choice of performance texts.
Component 3: Theatre Makers in Practice (40%), 2hrs 30min written exam
Section A: Live Theatre Evaluation.
- Students answer one extended response question from a choice of two requiring them to analyse and evaluate a live theatre performance they have seen.
- Students are allowed to bring in theatre evaluation notes of up to a maximum of 500 words.
Section B: Page to Stage: Realising a Performance Text
- Students answer two extended response questions based on an unseen extract from the performance text they have studied.
- Students will demonstrate how they, as theatre makers, intend to realise the extract in performance.
- Students answer from the perspective of a performer and a designer.
- Performance texts for this section are not allowed in the examination as the extracts will be provided.
Section C: interpreting a Performance Text
- Students will answer one extended response question from a choice of two based on an unseen named section from their chosen performance text
- Students will demonstrate how their re-imagined production concept will communicate ideas to a contemporary audience.
- Students will also need to outline how the work of their chosen theatre practitioner has influenced their overall production concept and demonstrate an awareness of the performance text in its original performance conditions.
I CAN FIND OUT MORE INFORMATION BY
PLEASE CONTACT: Mrs White, Head of Drama on 01295 251451 ext.238.